An erect, slender-stemmed, single-trunked palm that can grow up to 30 m tall but normally trees are in between 10 to 15 m in height. Trunk is green when young, grey coloured in old trees with prominent white leaf scars. Fronds (leaves) are even-pinnately compound with a rigid but recurved rachis and 30 to 50 long lanceolate-shaped leaflets. Frond base sheath is long, smooth and green in colour. Flowers are yellow or creamy white in colour, fragrant and unisexual, with both male and female flowers borne on the same inflorescence. Inflorescence is commonly called as spadix (flower spike), much-branched and borne below the leaves and enclosed in a spathe. Each terminal branch or spikelet of the inflorescence has a few female flowers at the base and numerous male flowers extending from there to the tip. Male flowers are small in size with three petals and calyx cut into three minute lobes. Female flowers are much larger than male flowers with three sepals and three petals. Fruit is ovoid, hard and orange or scarlet coloured with fibrous mesocarp (middle layer) and a thin woody endocarp enclosing a seed. Seeds are ovoid or ellipsoidal and 1.5 to 1.8 cm in diameter with a flattened base.
Our safety tips
- Listings with a "Shop" tag means that the publisher was curated by Jumia.
- Never send money to "book" an item, avoid paying before seeing the it.
- Avoid sending money through untraceable methods such as Western Union or Mobile Money.
- Thoroughly check the item to make sure it's matching the assumed condition.
- If the seller doesn't have a shop, meet with him in a public place (Mall, Gas station, workplace ...).
- Do not give personal details (bank details, credit card numbers ...).
- Beware of offers too good to be true.